To provide an advanced education in French, which integrates the language, linguistics, literature and culture of France, the literatures and cultures of the French-speaking world, and the latest methodologies in the teaching of French.
|Elyse Petit at the CECI conference in Le Havre, France, June 2014, presenting a paper co-authored with Prof. Durand on "The Teaching of French and Digital Humanities in American Universities"|
The graduates of the French MA Program will be trained in and will be able to pursue a career in teaching, or in any industry where the following skills are needed:
- The experience and ability to adapt and function in unfamiliar environments and new situations
- The ability to communicate well with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- The ability to negotiate difficult/abstract tasks with an acute sense of initiative and creativity
- The ability to analyze, evaluate, and assess cultural differences in professional settings
- Heightened ability to apply the skills of critical thinking, reading, writing, and synthesizing information.
The graduates of the French MA Program will acquire a broad base of knowledge that draws together:
- Current approaches to Second Language Acquisition
- The literature, language, and culture of France
- The literatures and cultures of Francophone areas worldwide, taught through interdisciplinary approaches
- Experience in teaching French at the university level, under the guidance of specialists in Second Language
- Advanced knowledge of the French language, including linguistic studies and the history of French
- Exposure to France and French-speaking countries